Tuesday, March 30, 2010

STELLAAAAAAAA!!!

Let me start by saying that I love fashion.  Love it.  I also love my child.  I even love dressing up my child.  See?  It all comes full circle, right?

Now that we've established some things that I love, let's move on to something I don't.  Buying expensive clothes for children.  Stella McCartney has launched her summer line for the Gap, and it's only a huge disappointment unless you are looking to show your kids how NOT to value a dollar by purchasing them a $60.00 shirt that they could grow out of before the summer is even over.  Don't get me wrong, the clothes are beautiful.  But why does a kid need a pair of $42.00 jean "roll up" shorts?  I can do that:  jeans + scissors = jean roll up shorts. (Ew, I sound like my mom.)



There you go.  Hell, I'll even add to the "value" by putting a hole or two in 'em and maybe even a paint splatter - lah-di-dah, I know.  Jesus Christ, we're still in an economic nightmare in this country, and your good old American jean store thinks you should be forking over $18.00 for a TANK TOP.  A fucking TANK TOP.  A plain one at that.  It doesn't even do anything like feed your kids or teach them to read.  It's a motherfucking tank top.


So your toddler gets used to the high life - don't hate, this is how she toddles, in her sixty dollar skinny jeans and forty dollar espadrilles.  She's looking gooooood, and since you dressed your dolly up so nice you just KNOW people think you're the best mom evah.  Time flies.  And before you know it she's a tween who is - GASP! - demanding fancy clothes, purses, concert tickets, etc. and you're wondering how on earth this little shit got such a sense of entitlement!  She got it from you, alright?  She got it from watching you. 

Does anyone else remember a couple of years ago when the Gap started in with all of the retro cuts?  First it was the Audrey Hepburn cigarette pant, then the vintage denim cuts and washes?  The Gap had gone too far from the simplicity that made it a household name and they were struggling.  Bringing back those clothes we all missed was the right thing to do, but now I'm wondering if we're headed back to the dark side.   Or do they think that  making just the kids clothing outrageous is the way to go?  I don't know, I'm no businessista, but I do know that you can find pretty much anything my kid wears at Target, Old Navy, and even.........dun dun DUUUUN!!!!  Wal Mart.  And I don't even get pissed when she spills OR grows.   Someday she'll be old enough to earn her own money and she can buy all of the brand name tags she wants.  Until then....

Target - $4.99


Wal Mart - THREE! for $9.00


Target - $7.99



And that's not all, here are some more cute clothes from Target and Wal Mart but I'm too lazy to price them all for you.  You've got a computer, go to Target or Walmart your self!










I know, these clothes aren't as mature as the Stella line, but I guess I'm that kind of mom who doesn't mind my kid dressing and acting like, well...a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment